Why, hello there!
My name is Xiu-Ping (pronounced See-you Ping) and I love food, I love cooking and I also love teaching others about food and how to cook.
I believe everyone should learn to cook. In his book ‘Cooked’, Michael Pollan very nicely outlined the reasons why we should all learn, which I have summarised to be:
We should all learn to cook because it
- improves health and general well-being.
- makes the food system healthier and more sustainable.
- helps us to achieve a greater degree of self-sufficiency.
- helps us to acquire a deeper understanding of the natural world and our role in it.
- not only gives us the meal, but the occasion through which we can develop the practice of eating together at an appointed time and place.
- allows us to become alchemists and puts us in touch with the laws of physics, chemistry, biology and microbiology.
Like Pollan, I too believe that everyone should learn to cook, not just girls, women or those who identify as female. As he so aptly put it, “Men and children both need to be in the kitchen too, not just for fairness and equity, but because they have so much to gain.” Indeed they do!
Here are some other things about me:
- I also love dogs and animals, rock climbing, cycling, personal finance and just about everything botanical.
- I hate waste of all kinds. Wastes of time, potential, resources, etc. In particular, I hate it when meat is wasted, because I feel it is disrespectful to the animal that gave up its life.
- I strive to live sustainably.
This blog is a space for me to write my musings and record my learning.
Wanna say hi? Send me a note using the form below.